Saturday, February 12, 2005

One more remix

Remixes are the rage if one believes the slew of remixes that hit the music televisions and radio stations each day. Remix songs are usually old (but not forgotten) songs which have been super hits in their days.
Keeping aside issues of royalty and whether they deserve to be made, whats the idea behind a remix? Is it
"I can do better than a maestro?"
or is it
"Let me claim my spot in the sun by tweaking (add some beats, rapper lyrics or some unclad women or all three) a good song and try to make a name for myself and then later ride on that popularity to become a singer/composer/whatever."

I am not sure whats the market for a remix song. If I have a choice, would I buy the remixed version of an old timeless classic or buy a song that has been corrupted by some wannabe jockey who did not have the creativity to craft his own song? Do remixes trigger the purchase of the original? Havent heard of too many remixes top the chart consistently.
Would I remember that a particular song was an RD Burman original or a "somebody" remix?
One of the earliest remixes was nice to hear. The second and third wore the novelty off by a small margin (Does anybody even remember them?).

Now remixes are like potatoes; hardly distinguishable from one another. They serve no other purpose than bring back some old song from the attics of my memory to the front for recall.

1 comment:

Vulturo said...

I agree, remixes lack originality. But anyone would agree, that a lot of them are much better than the originals (with respect to contemporary music tastes)

Old timers prefer the originals, while kiddos prefer remixes. The idea is: for any song to be remixed, the basic tune has to be good.

The original "Ik pardesi mera dil le gaya" or "saiyan dil me aana re" would really sound great at a discotheque or a party would it? But at least remixes do.

Remixes are not an insult, but an honor to the timeless classics, whose tunes could live on to the next generation (although the music needed to be modified) - so what the heck?