Monday, May 09, 2005

Of shirts...2

Continuing on shirts, when Arrow first came into the market, they brought in some good designs, colours. Over time they seems to have lost their edge with some of the newer players making their presence felt. Some of the major brands (Arrow, again) serve the premium end of the market very well. This is how I view the mens shirts market. (Marketeers take note)

If I want great formal shirts that fit the corporate environment very well, I go in for an Arrow. Great business formals means Arrow. Louis Phillipe, Van Heusen are brands I think, can do better new designs; Ditto Allen Solly. The new kid on the block to me has been Indigo nation and Scullers. These Indus league brands have great designs and seem to be trying out something new every few months. Business casuals for me, usually means Scullers or Indigo Nation of Indus League. Provogue seems to have occassional good designs for casual and party shirts, but Scullers and Indigo Nation are my brands to watch.

For all these brands, I wish the showrooms have a better range of designs and not respond with a "This is all we have Sir". Beyond the brand euphoria, it is a point worth noting that many fabric manufacturers supply to more than one brand and some supply to competing brands as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the pricing of Arrow shirts is justified. A similar quality shirt of a lesser known brand may cost just half of the price of an Arrow. If the logo on the sleeve is your concern, there are tailors who can embroider the logo !. A white Arrow shirt after 6 months use is good as an ordinary white shirt.

Neelakantan said...

It is tempting to think of it that way, but Arrow shirts are really good. And I know it through personal experience and through the fact that I have some fundae on textile technoloy as well.

Pick up a folded arrow shirt and look at its surface. You will see very few, if any, strands that stand up. Now check out an ordinary shirt....

Anonymous said...

I like Prowse & Hargood Shirts