Monday, June 06, 2005

Tag!

My first meme and a break from my usual business economics posts. I was book tagged by Abi. So here goes.

Total books I own: I would put the number at about a 100 or so, but I have never really counted.

Last book I bought: A brief history of everything by Bill Bryson. I also bought, on a whim, a three volume piece on "Civlization and capitalism" - history of conomics/capitalism. Genome and Guns, Germs and Steel are my other recent buys.
Why did I buy them? I read Genome first, then Guns, germs and steel. The latest two books seemed to be tying in where the other two left off.

Last book I read: Recently finished reading "The Hungry Tide" by Amitava Ghosh. I prefer not to read fiction, but this was given by a friend. I read non fiction books, usually books which are recommended by my friends ( and there are many). Non fiction business, science are my favourite subjects. On my desk right now are Triple by Ken Follet (Shankar says it is good) and A Beautiful mind by Sylvia Nassar apart from Den of Thieves by James B. Stewart.

5 Books that mean a lot to me: I would rather put this as my favourite books.

1) Sherlock Holmes long and short stories: One of the few books I have read more than once. Engrossing to the core, it can really tickle your brain. A masterpiece by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

2) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, with its fable of finding treasure is another one of my favourites.

3) What they dont teach you at Harvard Business School, Mark Mc Cormack with its pithy advice on EQ is a great read time after time.

4) Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt, Jeff Cox is an entertaining read of a complex problem.

5) Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach is a great book for its simple message.

Other than these, I am fan of Swami and Friends by RK Narayan for its great style of writing. I can read any PG novels end to end. I love books which make me laugh or think, preferably both.

Tag some bloggers to spread this virus: Shankar, Venky and Anupama

No comments: