Tuesday, November 08, 2005

For 70 rupees...


This car is worth 70 rupees. Thats the MRP (maximum retail price) on the package. It includes transportation costs (all the way from China), distribution costs and anything else you want to factor in. At this price, it earns the distributor, the end seller and even the manufacturer a profit. I wonder what its cost price would be if each of these entities have to make even a semblance of a profit.

The car is no ordinary push pull car nor is it a clockwork thingie. It car is a remote controlled car (see the control box in the background), the kind, atleast for me, of which is out of reach due to budget constraints. A branded car like this will not come for less than a 1000 rupees. Sure, this thing is not a handcrafted model Ferrari, and is quite tacky in fit and finish and finesse, but it is a remote controlled car, no frills.

70 rupees! For 70 rupees, one can barely get a kilo of apples. I can get a little over a litre of petrol. 70 rupees is a little under 2 dollars and I dont even want to go into what 2 dollars can get you.

Thats Chinese manufacturing for you.

5 comments:

L said...

Hey any idea where I can get this..???

Niti Bhan said...

What about a bottle of Kingfisher, my last recollection is that it could cost Rs 9 in the shops near the Palace on the way out to Nandi Hills.

Neelakantan said...

I think you can get this at any of the shops which sell Chinese stuff (and there are tons of those in any of the cities).

Ellaiah said...

that was a really cood way of putting things neelakantan. Hi, My name is ellaiah.

Ellaiah said...

u are to me
what seth godin is for u..........i think i will also post some articles in the same lines.