Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Wheres the viewfinder?

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have acquired a cellphone with a camera. As I used it today, I realized (!) that unlike cameras no cellphone ever comes with a viewfinder - all of them use just the LCD display.

Cameras of this day still have viewfinders (I did discover some which don't) and I am not talking SLRs, I am talking about basic point and shoot digicams. True that the viewfinder allows to make precision adjustments - but in a point and shoot digi - how much precision can you get? Likewise, if the argument is about battery life, then that has to apply in cellphones too. There is no great reason to have a viewfinder in a camera of these days - the lcd is simply far too convenient (and some camera makers have figured that out).

The camera without a viewfinder is, really a radical step and it came, not from camera makers, but from cellphone makers. As it says in the Innovators Dilemma.

No comments: