Friday, July 27, 2007

Where is the citizen?

Link from Atanu Deys blog, written by Tarun Vijay. A fantastic piece, if ever there were one.

''I used to know a man whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II. He was a German Jew. They owned a number of large industries and estates. I asked him how many German people were true Nazis, and the answer he gave has stuck with me and guided my attitude toward fanaticism ever since. "Very few people were true Nazis," he said, "but many enjoyed the return of German pride; and many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us; and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come. My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp, and the Allies destroyed my factories."

We, as a nation, as a community take pride in sitting on fences bordering on indifference and we almost market it as our forte. You see that everywhere, we are proud to be on the fence - you can start with the NAM, on terror, internal security - so much so, that even in the corporate world today, very few, if any take a stand. Vacillating is almost our national identity and it is not doing us any good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've held this opinion for a long time. Gandhi made cowardice a virtue, calling it nonviolence. Nehru made indifference a virtue, calling it nonalignment. Great leaders we've had, we're just happy to follow them.

Anonymous said...

I doubt if we are following our leaders, that way our present lot is among the most decadent...