Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Are books making us stupid?

This is in response to a Nick Carr article, here where he asks is Google making us stupid?

I guess every time technology has advanced there are similar questions. Did phones make us stupid? Did electricity? Did transport? Perhaps even the printed word -I mean, India has had a glorious history of oral teaching for centuries prior to the invention of books - so why do we need books? I mean, we really were better off in caves with the occasional tiger to defend against, werent we?

Whenever somebody makes progress luddites like these fight for status quo.

In any case, to me having Google (and wikipedia) is the ultimate democratization of knowledge or atleast awareness. After all if it were not for google, I would not have found this stupid article either...

No comments: