Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Early to rise

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. But it also made you uncool. The (K)night riders had all the fun, despite all thats been written. 


Try to change I did. Why? You see, mornings are uncool. The night it is when all the fun happens. "Did you check out that movie last night" or "How about Dandia tonight" is a far more hopeful conversation than a "How about seeing me at 5.30 am?" Besides nothing worth noting is open in the morning - other than doodhwallahs and newspaper delivery guys. There was no study partner who would want to wake up at the unearthly hour of 4 am. No parties begin at 5 am - ever.  Nope. Even the first possible show is at a hopeless 9 am - and populated with movies even the theatre owners would not like to see. No hope even at work. Showing up early means nothing - there is nobody who sees you arrive, unlike the aura of staying back of late. Everybody sees you hard at work - can't beat that. 

But my experiment to change was a disaster. I could not stay awake - not for studies, not for the cricket world cup, not for an impression on the boss. The second shows I went to, ended with me being woken up at the end of the movie. The gaming nights, inevitably saw me losing even as the nights just began - I almost began to use it as an excuse for lousy pictionary skills. 

But I did have my moments of triumph. Thanks to the spherical world,  I watched all the matches in Australia and New Zealand. I also caught sight of the odd comet that made its appearance at around 5 am. 

If you ask me, 5.30 am is the best time of the day. People may change, but for me, the morning it is, however uncool.

3 comments:

Preetha Nair said...

"Showing up early means nothing - there is nobody who sees you arrive, unlike the aura of staying back of late. Everybody sees you hard at work - can't beat that"
Can totally relate to this!!!

Still ...I continue to be a morning person..:):)

Neelakantan said...

So do I. But the whole world is against us early risers.

Arif Vakil said...

Early mornings Rock! "C'mon I urge you to..
Join the 5' O Clock Club
Beat the battle of the Bed,
Put mind over mattress,
There'll be plenty of time to sleep once you are dead."

Excerpt from Robin Sharma's Success Podcast Seriestitled Life is short, Get up Early.

Besides it's been said an hour of work before Noon is worth two, just as an hour of sleep before Midnight is worth two, too. :-)