Friday, November 07, 2008

On monks who dont sell their Ferrari

I read Robin Sharmas books - four of them actually. The first one was The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari and the other two were his The Greatness Guide series. The fourth one, I dont remember. You will see why that does not matter.

The amazing thing about him is the consistency of ideas. He has a few ideas which he has continuously revised, recycled and put in different books with different titles. Every book of his reads like the other one. I am inclined to see his other books to see if there is any difference. That by the way is his Marketing Genius. This is not to say that his ideas are not good. They are. I love them. Practical. Simple. Get up early in the morning. Enjoy life, personal mastery. Very nice ideas. Very inspiring. Makes you sit up and think.

The other aspect of his books is the passing mention of his own la-di-dah life in it. His great moments are at some of the worlds most expensive places and restaurants. He has learnings while typing on his blackberry flying on business class. While jetting across the globe for his seminars or for his kids birthdays, he comes across the finer points of his life. In any case, he has not sold his Ferrari just as yet. But then again, why should he? Is there anything wrong in being rich? There isn't. Is there anything wrong in being where you are to enjoy life? There isn't.

It took me a while to think about this. I mean, the kind of stuff Robin writes goes something like this. "While sipping coffee at the French Riviera I was amazed at how beautiful the world is" Well, that may work for him. For you and me, it may not be the French Riviera, but it does not have to be. The nearby CCD will work just as well or your own balcony. But being dissatisfied about not being at the Riviera would be missing the point.

I thought about whether I liked or disliked that aspect and whether his writing was vacuous. Now I have the answer. Whether I agree or disagree with his preference for the good life or the places where he gets his ideas is immaterial. What I agree with are his ideas. That took me some time to reconcile :)

2 comments:

purple pitara said...

well someone seems to be evolving even as he goes thru his mid-life crisis :)

Savitha Rao said...

The idea is I guess is to focus on the medicine and not the doctor :)

Btw - similar situation exists with Deepak Chopra .