Sunday, December 14, 2008

First they came...

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

First they came...

India is in the cross hairs of Islamic terrorism sponsored by Pakistan as well as sponsored from inside. All the stateless actors, we are victims of terror too is bullshit. If we dont get them, by hook or crook, our future is at stake.

What would you do? What would you expect your country, your government to do? Stand up to it, speak it out and denounce it in the strongest terms and ensure that our lives are secure. Or, we do the next best thing. Vote the government out and get someone who does...

3 comments:

Kavi said...

The options are not interesting or really an option. It is just the same animal clothed in a different colour !

aditya said...

I have to agree with Kavi. I do wish that things were black and white. However, we have a wolf, and a wolf in sheep's clothing. It has never been a case of choose the best, more of choose the best amongst the worst.

Marina D'Souza said...

Really nice poem. So apt for the situation