Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nano has pesticides in it

Not really. This is a few days late, but heres an incoherent rant...

Sunitaji, as much as I admire your ingenuity in finding pesticides in colas and missing them in vegetables and fruits, I find your logic a little hard to understand. Arguing against cars (that too the people mover variety) in the year 2009 is almost the same as arguing against electricity. Try it and you will be hard pressed to do it.

I agree with you as far as having better, affordable, comfortable public transport goes. There are no two ways about it. Surely, you will never read my blog, but you will see me quite vocal against oil also. (It brings with it other very serious problems, you see.)

Today, there is subsidy in almost everything - either direct or indirect. Export incentives, tax exemptions, cheap land, low cost power, depreciation - almost everything is a subsidy. Show me an industry and I will show you a subsidy. Indeed, I will show you other subsidies that exist even without industries. Even public transport is subsidised. Most public transport corporations across the country (bar 3-4) make losses.

The Nano is a triumph of ingenuity. Think of it as a platform - once fuel cell technology arrives, this car will be the lightest one to get onto it. In one (actually two) stroke, it can help us get rid of all the two stroke rickshaws that are the bane of our cities. Also, it can help us get rid of many super old vehicles that run in our country.

Oh, by the way electricity is subsidised too. Ask those rich farmers. And ask me. I pay my bills. If I don't pay it by the tenth, they cut my electricity. I cannot even steal it.

End of rant...

3 comments:

Kavi said...

This rant was a neat rant ! I wonder why some people pronounce the Nano as Nah-no !

Perhaps the fault is in the pronounciation !

:)

Savitha Rao said...

Hope Sunitaji reads the post :)

cedric said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://laptopmessengerbag.info