Monday, May 11, 2009

Internet shopping in India

My first experience with internet shopping happened through a friend. Many years back, somewhere in 2001 or 2, one of my friends had ordered something from a large portal. What he got was a broken piece of equipment that he had ordered - a complete waste. Of course, the portal washed its hands off it saying that the supplier was to blame and no replacement of any sort was received. That left a bitter taste and I was wary of trying out internet shopping.

Around 2005, I had placed an order for a book with an internet site and it took me tons of follow ups and a few months before I finally received the book. And recently, I ordered Windows for my PC and that took a month and a few calls and some blame exchanges before it finally made it to my place.

However, my dealings with Myntra and Dilsebol have been very very positive. They deliver as promised and on time. Indeed many a time, I have been surprised at the speed at which they deliver.

I know a few of my friends have ordered books from some portals as well as music cds and they swear by it. I have never tried ebay.

But is it that relatively newer sites, which have a bigger online presence are better? Do ones well established offline have good online sites that work well too?

What is your experience of Internet shopping in India? Has it been trouble free? Have you got what you wanted on time?

10 comments:

Boundlessdreamz said...

Didn't have a problem with ebay on the two occassions I bought from there from sellers rated more than 99%.

Had good experience with flipkart.com.

Shankar Ganesh said...

I've also had some great experience with flipkart.com

The two times I ordered books there, they arrived quite fast.

:)

Prasanth said...

I have only ordered books and so far, it has been a very postive experience. I also agree with the commenters above. flipkart.com is cheap and fast.

Kavi said...

I havent had much of a problem. The problem seems to be in the mind though. That you cant, to use a cliche, 'touch and feel' a product before buying it !

Books and Music CDs which one has read about / heard about are the easiest of purchase decisions to make.

The delivery etc has not been a problem...

KeepingItSimple said...

In 2004 I had a good experience with HyderbadBazaar. In 2005 with ebay.in. In 2006 with ChennaiGiftsOnline.

No Issues so far. Lucky me.

Tanuj Lakhina said...

I have shopped at Indiatimes,Ebay,Indiaplaza and have had a great experience with quick delivery.However very recently I had a horrid experience with Rediff who wouldn't revert back to emails,didn't have a phone number on their site.The seller information had no replies either.And eventually I didn't get the item because it wasn't available! I vow not to shop with them again.

Freaky said...

Had two experiences with ebay. Lost 4,000/- in one transaction. The courier seems to be having fun with my hard disk. AFAIK, in ebay, its better if u can find a seller nearer to you.

Philip said...

I have bought electronic gadgets from ebay about 5 times..goods varying in cost from Rs 400 to 14000. Every time it has been a great experience

I've got all the stuff within 3 days of ordering. I'm a fan of ebay now. Of course, take care to buy from >99% positive sellers.

neelakantan said...

Thanks for the flipkart update guys. I ordered my first book through it today. Will see how it goes with them.

Found some interesting links on them too...

Savitha Rao said...

Myntra has been pretty good on service .