Monday, June 15, 2009

Hobby ideas

Hobby ideas is an shop and an idea whose time has come. Thankfully, should I say?

I spent a fair amount of time, fruitlessly, during my childhood trying to make things following instructions and none of the shops even knew what I was referring to. I badly wanted to create a simple glider aeromodel in those days and I had managed to get my hands on a second hand aero model magazine from the UK. Armed with the instructions, I set out to create my own plane. Needless to say, it crashed even before I reached step 1 of instructions. The list of things required were an obstacle that could not be crossed. For the record, it cannot be crossed even today by and large, but Hobby ideas is the kind of shop which has the potential to expand into such niche areas (as hobby shops have in other countries). They do have some basic gliders and rubber powered planes in their shop.

I was pleasantly surprised by the range of items available. There was a small tutorial going on while we were at the shop which was very interesting. And it is a far better place to go to than a toy shop. For Pidilite, there is a possibility that the hobby ideas idea can span into something as an entry into India DIY market. Does India have a DIY market? No. It is known only by its absence. This is a market that can be created IMO.

6 comments:

Ashwadhy said...

I've picked up a few things from Hobby Idea and they were pretty good. The workshops they have for children and the instruction manuals... I must say well done. I have seen a similar line in Europe and I was impressed with the one in Bangalore.

Ditto to the thoughts as a child. I wish they had more of them.

Rangachari Anand said...

I have always felt that Indians as a whole do not have hobbies unless you count "watching TV" as a hobby. To be fair however, Indians face many constraints - mainly the lack of time, space, money and skills. With increasing prosperity, interest in hobbies is sure to grow.

In school and college in the 70s and 80s, I used to be an electronics tinkerer myself. I have many happy memories of Lamington Road in Bombay and Lajpatrai Market in Delhi (the one in Chandni Chowk not south Delhi). It got to the point where I was actually able to make a fair bit of pocket money out of this since excise duties on electronics goods were so high in those days.

BharGo said...

Don't forget that Pidilite pioneered the concept of Hobby through Fevicryl brand in 70s and 80s... I used to look forward to the trademark black and orange 'Fevicraft' magazine that I would get free for participating in their contests in school... Also they trained the 'Friendly Neighbourhood Aunties' to start Fevicryl Hobby classes... that was CRM when we did not what that acronym meant!

Hobby Ideas is just a logical progression of this wonderful thought by an 'Indian MNC'... May their tribes increase!

Arif said...

Sounds interesting. Is this in Bombay or Bangalore? Do post the address.

jennifer said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Margaret

http://howtomakecompost.info

David said...

Yesterday I went to Chongro 5-ga to buy some suff. There are lots of shops and big market(Dongdaemun market). This toy shop has been there for long. I tried to sketch it despite of complicated shapes and colors. I'm not sure of its accuracy but tried to describe the feelings of cute things.

Visit