Thursday, December 17, 2009

Trapping the hunter

Many years ago in an engineering college was this common predicament would be engineers face. How to submit an assignment on time. Or better still, how to submit it late and still get the grading for it. These were early days for us in college and it so happened that this one person in my class forgot to submit his assignment on time. Not only did he forget, he absolutely had no idea that an assignment of this nature existed with a deadline somewhere in the cosmic realm. With such benign ignorance, he was made to stand up in front of the class and explain when he would submit the said assignment.

Without batting an eyelid, he explained, "Sir, I can submit it by the end of today if you want. I can just copy it, like probably a few of us have done and give it to you. But if you really want me to understand, give me a day and I will do it on my own and submit it tomorrow."

Classic game theory perhaps, but the prof fell for it. And needless to say, our man submitted the assignment the next day after copying it - in the tradition of many engineering students before and after him...

And this Dilbert cartoon captures it like no other

No comments: