Saturday, August 06, 2011

The price of fruits

This is more of my own self discovery - my own personal, minor Eureka moment, if you will. It is just that I did not realize it myself.

A packet of biscuits - costs about 10 Rs for 100 grams (give or take a few). That translates into about 100 rupees a kilo. Premium biscuits cost even more- so you can do the math yourself.

But fruits - at Bangalore prices - fruits start from anywhere at 20 rupees a kilo (Robusta Bananas) to about 100 rupees a kilo (Apples, Pomegranates) for the most part. There are super premium fruits which cost more like Washington Apples and exotic fruits like Kiwi and whatchamicallit - which are more expensive.

But think about it, this is the level of "value add" that food processing brings. Whether it is beneficial or not etc is a bigger question.

But what it means in general is that, one is better off buying fruits, even if they are more expensive rather than buying other "processed" "artificial" items. It may or may not apply to you, but it does to me - since I believe that eating natural is better than eating artificial. Separate story that at this point, it does seem impossible to go to a completely natural diet - but if I achieve it, you can be sure it will be part of a blog post!

Why fruits and biscuits - because I tend to buy both as part our groceries - and I have been trying to cut down on the latter and  buy more of the former.

No comments: