Sunday, April 13, 2014

Google reader - afterthought

I used to be a passionate user of Google reader. And I was quite disappointed when it shut down. For quite a few years, Google reader was my medium of consuming news. And a great way to aggregate posts, and read them when I had the time.

But over the past nearly 1 year, while I did move to Digg reader, I realised that my own reading habits have changed. Twitter has taken over completely as the aggregator - you can favourite and read it later. And with the prevalence of the mobile, it has become far easier to read on the go. My own usage of reader has reduced - but while the upside is the mobile internet - the downside is that there are many posts which I do not get to read simply because there is so much to read in the present, that going back is not an option, except when I retire, perhaps.

What is the point?

The point is that Google saw this development and were able to kill a product that would otherwise remained a very niche product and perhaps not worth maintaining...

3 comments:

Jagannath Moorthy said...

This mirrors my experience. Google Reader used to be the first link on my bookmarks bar and a must open link each morning. I switched to feedly and while it is probably more full featured than GR was, find myself going less frequently and the number of unread articles continues to rise.

For the moment, it still remains there in my bookmarks, but for how much longer, I wonder?

Jagannath Moorthy said...

This mirrors my experience. Google Reader used to be the first link on my bookmarks bar and a must open link each morning. I switched to feedly and while it is probably more full featured than GR was, find myself going less frequently and the number of unread articles continues to rise.

For the moment, it still remains there in my bookmarks, but for how much longer, I wonder?

Jagannath Moorthy said...

This mirrors my experience. Google Reader used to be the first link on my bookmarks bar and a must open link each morning. I switched to feedly and while it is probably more full featured than GR was, find myself going less frequently and the number of unread articles continues to rise.

For the moment, it still remains there in my bookmarks, but for how much longer, I wonder?